THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO!
For most of us, we spend the majority of our time awake during the day working. Whether that be at an office or at home, the majority of us generally have a work area where we spend most of our days getting things done. I know I do for sure! So I got to thinking the other day, as I was sitting in my cubicle at work, what are some different and fun ways I can brighten up my desk? How can I make it a place that I walk up to and it makes me smile to sit down and begin my day? Even when I’m working at home on my blog content or studying for school, I like to have a space that makes me happy and that makes me look forward to sitting down and starting my work. (I know, crazy to think that can happen right?!)
So I thought I would throw together a few tips that can help you liven up your work space and make it into a place where you want to be spending your time. I hope you enjoy!
- Decorate with fun colors – Incorporate fun colors into your workspace! What colors make you happy? Think of your favorite color and look up different color combinations involving that color to come up with a color scheme. I love light pinks and pastels, so I decided to incorporate those colors when I was decorating the desk I use at home. I have a pink felt letter board and a pretty, long pearl necklace I draped over to give it a sort of Sex and the City Carrie Bradshaw vibe.
- Incorporate plants – Okay, I do not have any plants on my desk, simply because I kill them. Every. Single. Time. I am the world’s worst with plants, which is so sad because I love the look of them! (I sometimes have luck with cacti, however I killed my last one so I’m taking a break before getting a new one.) BUT, I also love flowers and am good at keeping them alive (for the 2 weeks they generally last in a vase!) I love having flowers around my house in general, (I buy them every week while I’m grocery shopping and change them out around my apartment!) and the way they look on a desk is so pretty. They make me happy to see when I’m working and always brighten my day. 🙂
- Hang up string lights – These are such a fun, easy way to make a space more fun and inviting. I actually have these strung all around my cubicle at work and everyone tells me that they love coming over to my desk because it’s so cozy! I generally like the kind with the wall outlet, but these battery-operated ones are great too! They are the same ones I have at work and they work well. (I have the warm white color.)
- Have quotes around that you love – At my desk at work, I have two quotes: “Coffee is a cup of hope in a world full of chaos and Mondays” and “Messy bun and get it done.” They’re simple, cute, and make me smile when I look at them. I even have people stop my desk who never have come by before, read my quotes out loud, and chuckle at them! They always say they are fun and match my personality. (Messy buns and coffee… that’s actually true, pretty much sums up Carrington.) At my desk at home, I have a quote on my felt letter board that reads, “And I think to myself what a wonderful world.” I wanted this quote in my room 1) because I love the song, and 2) because I always like to remind myself that despite if I’m having a bad day or am upset or getting discouraged, this world we live in is pretty wonderful when you take the time to stop and think about all that you have. At least I know I’m incredibly blessed, and this quote reminds me of that. (Cheesy I know, but hey it’s true.)
- Keep it clean and organized – I don’t know about you, but it seriously stresses me out when my desk is unorganized. I feel like I can’t focus or find anything or get anything done until I stop and take a few minutes to organize things. My desk is basically reflective of my brain; if things are scattered here and there and not put into groups or there are random stacks of paper that have just accumulated overtime, I get absolutely nothing done. So making sure my desk is kept clean and organized automatically brightens it up and makes it a more pleasant place for me to stay and work.
I hope this gives you a few ideas to brighten up your workspace and make it a place that’s bright and happy! I feel like I’m always working at my desk at home or at work, so I like to make sure I keep my spaces happy places where I feel like I want to be.
Thanks for reading friends! Xx.