THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO!
Happy hump day friends! I hope everyone has had a great week so far and is looking forward to the weekend ahead! Just remember, you’re halfway through!! You can make it!!
So last week, I started my new job in AUSTIN!!! I was SO excited to jump in and get started, I’m not much for sitting around and trying to occupy myself (I like to be busy, what can I say?!) The day before my first day, I went to the store to get everything I thought I might like to keep at my desk (snacks, fuzzy slippers, pictures and fun quotes, etc) and I thought it would be a great idea to share some of the things I got.
I wrote in a recent post, “How I’m Changing My Health Goals for 2020,” that I wanted to try to implement small changes this year that wouldn’t help me in the way a fad diet would, but would help me become a healthier person overall. One thing I have really been focusing on, even before I got my new job and moved, was keeping healthy snacks in my desk at work. I had a bad habit before of keeping a lot of sugary snacks in my desk that really were “empty calories.” It’s no secret I like my candy and sweets, but I wanted to really make an effort to stop eating those in my everyday diet, and instead view those as treats I would enjoy in moderation every once in a while.
I did a lot of research on what the healthiest snacks were for keeping you full at work and then tried a lot of them out to see what worked best for me. I’m kind of a picky eater when it comes to healthy food (I don’t really like a whole lot of vegetables or protein bars) so it took a bit of trial and error to see what really worked for me and what I could actually see myself eating. I found quite a few that I really really enjoyed eating and that were convenient for what I wanted (I wanted snacks I could keep in my desk, not in the refrigerator).
So, I’m happy to share 9 healthy snacks I found that I now always keep in my desk at work. I hope you guys find this helpful for you as well!
- Pistachios – So these actually double as both a snack and something I do to keep my hands busy while sitting at my desk. I normally will just take a handful out so I don’t overeat a ton of them, and then spend some time cracking them open and snacking while I’m working on something. I like to think of them as a good “thinking” snack!
- To-Go Natural Peanut Butter – I eat these a lot with the rice cakes I mention below! I love these because they are individually packaged and already perfectly portioned!
- Rice Cakes – They have different flavors of these so you have some options of what kind you get, but I normally either opt for the regular ones or the chocolate flavored ones since I normally just eat these with peanut butter!
- Smart Pop Popcorn – I loveeeee Smart Pop popcorn! They have the individual bags of already popped popcorn that I will normally bring to work since I love popcorn as a healthy snack, but I don’t like bothering everyone with the smell of popcorn.
- Wheat Thins – I normally get the reduced fat wheat thins (just a preference!) and eat them with some of the peanut butter I always buy! It’s a quick and easy snack that’s healthy and filling.
- Pretzel Thins – Again, I normally eat these with peanut butter (just now realizing I eat a LOT of peanut butter haha!) but I love pretzels by themselves too so it’s really a win-win!
- Dark Chocolate – Okay I am SUCH a chocolate fan (isn’t everyone?!) but MAN does it make me break out if I eat too much of it (and I always do, hah). So this is my solution so that I can still eat chocolate, without having to worry about my face breaking out. Not to mention, dark chocolate also has antioxidants so it can qualify as a healthy snack in my book! I normally will break off a square and snack on it if I’m craving a sweet snack or something during the workday.
- Granola Bars – I always keep granola bars at my desk during the day in case I forget to eat breakfast and need a little something in my stomach to get me going for the day. It’s not always super easy to do, but I do try to pick a granola bar that doesn’t have a ton of added sugars. If I’m really hungry, I’ll opt for a protein bar so I stay full longer. I really like these protein bars, they’re low in sugar and high in protein so they really work to keep you full for a long time!
- Non-Sugary Cereal – Last but not least, I normally will keep a small bag of either cheerios or chocolate cheerios at my desk to snack on during the day if I need a little snack. This isn’t super filling to me, but if I just need something to hold me over an hour or so until lunch, these work perfectly for me.
I hope this gives you a few ideas for some healthy snacks you can keep at your desk! I love snacking around so I’m always looking for healthy snacking choices that will keep me full, but also keep me feeling good about myself as well.
Thanks for reading friends and I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week! Xx.